Have you started a novel, only to get part way into the
manuscript and find yourself stuck? Or do you have an idea for a novel, but aren't sure where to begin? Have you completed a first draft, but feel it doesn't quite have the luster of professional writing?
In this lively and fun-to-read guide, Steve Alcorn shows you the remedies you need to achieve success. Step by step, you'll breathe life into old manuscripts, create new novels that read like bestsellers, and put the spark back into your writing life. Topics include:
- Story Structure
- Character Building
- Writing Big
- Beginnings and Endings
- Getting Published
Whether you're a first time novelist still planning your story, or an experienced author looking for ways to bring your fiction to life, How to Fix Your Novel is the ideal prescription.
I learnt so much from this book! For each how-to book I read, I keep a folder of notes on my phone so I can revisit learning points and brush up on my skills whenever they are rusty.
- Steve doesn't beat around the bush or repeat himself unnecessarily
- helps you outline your story, plot and characters (I simply love his Comprehensive Character Attribute Form)
- goes through absolutely everything about a novel you could think of, and then more
- explains scene and sequel extremely well; now I know why I never connected with some books!
- explains what makes an effective character (how protagonists should mirror antagonists)
- his last chapter on getting your novel published was a real eye-opener
Just buy this book, seriously.