For Fans Of
Would you dare to follow your dream and move or retire to Italy? Stef & Nico did, although their dog Sara had her doubts. Now from your comfortable armchair you can share in the hilarious & horrendous adventures they experienced when they moved to Italy to start a bed and breakfast.
For lovers of amusing travelogue memoirs who like a good laugh. And for those interested in practical advice on how to buy a house in Italy there is useful information along the way, pleasantly presented within the short stories.
Glossary of Italian words included! Learn the true meaning of Italian phrases and expressions like "non ci sono problemi", "di fiducia", "persone serie", "tutto a norma" and many more. Learn a bit of the foreign language before going to Italy.
- Reader Views 2016/17 Literary Awards Winner
- Readers Favorite 2017 Award Winner Travel category
- Eric Hoffer Award Finalist
- 2017 ELIT Award Winner Travel category
- IAN Book of the Year Finalist Travel & Humor/Comedy/Satire categories
- New York & Amsterdam Book Festival Honourable Mentions
- "a comical, often downright hilarious account" Reader's Favorite Review ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- "Smulders' storytelling artistry is wildly entertaining" Blogcritics/Reader Views ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- "Stef Smulders ... does what a good writer does: He writes what he observes and leaves the judgement to you, the reader. No constant bellyaching from Mr. Smulders. I like that. I really like that." James Martin, Italy expert, wanderingitaly.com
- "Fantastico! I am a tough critic and have nothing but kudos for this book. Buy this book!!" Elliana on Amazon
- "There is more of the flavor of Italy in this book than in ... Frances Mayes' 'Under the Tuscan Sun'" Amazon review by Grady Harp HALL OF FAME TOP 100
- "now I can add Stef Smulders to the list of my favorite expat authors" N.N. Light
In 2008 Stef Smulders, his partner Nico and their dog Saar emigrated to Italy to start a new life and set up their B&B Villa I Due Padroni. They sold their home, left their friends and family behind and took a leap into the unknown. Now Stef shares his experiences in a collection of witty short stories. The book treats the trials and tribulations of an emigration.
The reader is introduced to a full range of Italian characters, from the trustworthy to the rogue, from the gentle to the shameless, flesh and blood Italians. Some are stereotype, others unexpectedly original. Yet they never fail to amuse and entertain.
Lovers of books I loved like
Michelle Damiani's Il Bel Centro
Katherine Wilson's Only in Naples
Tim Parks' Italian Ways & Italian Neighbours
Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun & Bella Tuscany
Gerald Durrell's Corfu Trilogy
Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There & The Road to Little Dribbling
will probably love this book as well.
"Stef Smulders ... does what a good writer does: He writes what he observes and leaves the judgement to you, the reader. No constant bellyaching from Mr. Smulders. I like that. I really like that." James Martin, Italy expert, wanderingitaly.com
Reader's Favorite Five Stars Review ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- Stef Smulders' Living in Italy: The Real Deal is a thoroughly entertaining read and a unique introduction to 'the Italian way'!
- The book is a comical, often downright hilarious account of the setbacks and unforeseen obstacles Stef and Nico encounter while they navigate through the endless red tape of the stressful Italian bureaucracy and become acquainted with the Italian lifestyle.
Blogcricics and ReaderViews Five Stars Review ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- Crisp, concise chapters take the form of short stories and weavetogether seamlessly to create a whimsical, light-hearted, and refreshing memoire of the author's complete Italian experience.
- The characters are delightful and I laughedaloud throughout the reading at some of the obvious stereotypicalcharacteristics of Italians, like the obsession with their health, theirfashion sense, and the overall chaos that surrounds the average person.
Feathered Quill review:
- For those who wish to laugh and see a more up-close-and-personal Italy, this is most definitely the book for you!